Sad Story: Divorce After 40 Years of Marriage

One day, a septuagenarian couple walked into a lawyer’s office to file for divorce. At first, the lawyer was surprised, but after talking with them, he could understand their story. Over the last 40 years of their marriage, this couple had argued and never reached a consensus. To avoid jeopardizing their children’s development, they stayed together. But now that their children are adults and have their own families, nothing else binds them. All they wanted was to live their own lives, liberated from the pain they had carried for years. The lawyer made an effort to finalize the paperwork, but he was perplexed as to why the couple persisted in seeking a divorce. The woman said to her husband, “I just can’t go on, even though I absolutely love you,” as she signed the papers. “Please accept my sincere apologies.” The husband said, “I understand.” The lawyer proposed that they have dinner with him. They agreed, but once at the restaurant, a long and uncomfortable silence settled in. They chose roast chicken as their first course. As soon as it arrived, the man handed his wife the thigh, saying, “Here, it’s your favorite.” After that, the lawyer still thought they had a chance, but the woman continued, “This is usually the problem. You’ve never considered my feelings and always had such a high opinion of yourself. Don’t you realize how much I hate thighs?” Yet, she was unaware that her husband genuinely wanted to please her, that her favorite food was thighs, and that he only thought of her well-being. Both tossed and turned in bed that night, unable to sleep. The fear of losing her and spending the rest of his life apart from her made the man unable to stay silent any longer. He wanted to call her to express his continued affection for her. However, she too was filled with sadness, wondering how, after all those years, she still couldn’t understand him. She knew it was him, so she decided there was no reason to keep talking and simply let the phone ring. However, she was unaware that he had heart problems. The next day she learned of his passing. Rushing immediately to his apartment, she found his lifeless body on the couch, still holding his phone. While trying to contact her, he had suffered a heart attack.

Like this post? Please share to your friends: